Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls Recipes

These homemade cinnamon rolls are one of the breakfasts that my family lives for! They are so good! I've made them so many times, that now, I feel very confident substituting ingredients to see how well they turn out.  Let me post the original recipe first and then give you a few variations that I've liked.
 
This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, please click here.

Ingredients for dough:
Wet
1 cup warm water 
5 tbsp butter at room temperature
1 egg (or 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed soaked in 3 tbsp of water)
Dry
3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons instant powdered milk
1.5 tsp salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast
 
Ingredients for filling:
1/3 cup butter
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar

I use organic coconut sugar in all the variations below.

Variation 1: Follow the exact instructions, and use store-bought cream cheese frosting.  I know, it's fattening, etc, but it is easy to use, it isn't used often, and it's pretty delicious.

Variation 2: Instead of using 3 cups of white flour, I use 1 cup of oat flour (throw one cup of old fashioned oats in the blender), 1 cup white flour, and one cup white wheat.

Variation 3: Use 1 cup oat flour, 1.5 cups white flour, and .5 cup coconut flour.  Instead of an egg, soak 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds in 3 tablespoons of water until it gels and throw it in the mix like you would an egg.*

Variation 4 (haven't tried this yet, so I'm not sure how it would turn out): GLUTEN FREE Use 1 cup oat flour, 1.5 cup ground gluten free rice chex cereal (or corn chex cereal), and .5 cup coconut flour.  Same egg substitution for egg as variation 3.

*Variation 3 is the closest to making this recipe VEGAN, but I still have to figure out how to substitute the powdered milk to make it completely vegan.  Suggestions are accepted. :)
   

 photo YLjoinmyteamfinal_zps9399e46f.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.