If there is one post worth reading on my blog, I'd say this is it, hands down. This is the core of my beliefs (about education and faith) and it explains why I do what I do with so much passion. I hope you enjoy my material and don't hesitate to leave feedback.
In this post, you will read about:
Our Homeschooling Beginnings
Truth about Homeschooling
Benefits of Homeschooling
Our Educational Path
Our Homeschooling Core: God
Are You Considering Homeschooling?
More Information on Homeschooling
Our Homeschooling Beginnings


There have been many things that have come my way in my 34 years of life that have taught me lessons, many tough, unforgettable and life-changing. I want to be wise and make sure to not forget or let go of those lessons learned and be able to grow as a person. And not only that, but to pass that wisdom on to my children so someday they may be better than my husband and me combined. At least one can try and hope and pray.
At first, I never dreamed of homeschooling my children, not because I didn't want to, it just never occurred to me. I always dreamed of someday opening my own school and that is why I got a Master's Degree in School Administration.
Little did I know, God had much better plans for me during my children's very important formative years.
When our son was about one and a half, he was loving to learn at home with me so much that he was above and beyond his age in many things. When my mother-in-law (who homeschooled all seven of her children all the way through high school) saw what he could do, she said, "You are going to have to homeschool him! He will be so bored in school!" And that marked the beginning of this wonderful journey we have.
I think that the biggest hurdle I faced was myself. I knew I was a successful and capable teacher, but I wasn't quite believing that about me as a homeschool teacher/mom.
After much prayer and deliberation, I approached my husband and asked him what his thoughts were on the matter. His response was short and sweet, "I cannot think of a better teacher for our children than you." I was sold! If he believed in me and my Heavenly Father believed in me because He gave me this calling, then who am I to doubt? In I went! I took the plunge and have never looked back. I am loving it so much and I feel very blessed to have had an obedient heart. I would be missing out on so much! I really and truly love my life.
This quote couldn't be more true. It feels like it was just last year my son turned one, but he's actually almost four! And it feels like it was last week that my baby girl was born and she's actually almost two years old! Spending as much time with them as I can (while also learning independence) is paramount to me, especially because we feel that our family is now complete.
Benefits of Homeschooling
Let me talk about some of the benefits of homeschooling...
Imagine being able to tell your children, "Hi, I'm Teacher-Mom... I love you more than anyone in this world. We will learn and grow together and I will make sure you learn in the best way possible for your learning preferences so you can be successful." What a wonderful thought for me to know that I won't be missing out on any of their developmental and educational milestones! I will be the one to help them reach them and not a stranger.
Homeschooling is a wonderful thing for our family. I understand that it might not work well for certain families, but we feel blessed that it has worked very well for our family. It is overwhelming to come up with a schedule where we can cover all of the material we need to, we can keep a clean house, we can get out of the house, and be involved in church and volunteering activities. But God has given us so much grace. It is by trial and error that we have come up with a decent schedule.
I love the fact that homeschooling is so flexible. Our schedule changes every 8-12 weeks, almost. And you know what? It's ok. We adjust to changes, we find a way to make it work and we re-evaluate our priorities.
Our Educational Path
Here, we get to the core of education, especially from a homeschooling point of view.
I have put two Maria Montessori quotes back to back because she was a very influential woman in her time in the field of education. She revolutionized the system and helped so many children learn and discover the world in a very special way. I love teaching my children using the Montessori Method, along with Classical education and ACE (a Christian curriculum). I can't think of a school that would be so accommodating to my children and finding the exact curricula that meet their needs. That's another reason why I love homeschooling.
Our Homeschooling Core: God
Our legacy...make a difference in this world.
![]() |
| This quote has been going around for a while. No author has claimed writing it, but it is a wonderful thought. I chose to use my own graphics (a tree in our backyard) to bring it closer to home. May we live by the statements above! |
![]() |
| Boom! This lady rocks! I love her wisdom and gift in writing. I highly recommend reading her book. |
If you have been contemplating homeschooling and have lots of questions (How do I get started? Is it right for our family? What textbooks do I use? Do I need textbooks at all? What method of teaching is best for my children? and so many more), just know that it is ok. You have more time than life to decide.
The four things I can tell you are:
1. Pray. Ask God if this is the right thing to do for your family right now.
2. Consider the pros and cons. Make a list and a tentative schedule. Pray over it. Sleep on it.
3. Look for support around you. Get your family on board with it. Find other homeschooling families in the area. Find co-ops, look at what your church does with homeschoolers, ask local community centers and libraries to find out more. Join groups on Facebook and other media outlets that can offer support.
4. Be honest. What do you honestly feel deep down inside about homeschooling?

Feel free to email me if you have questions, doubts, or simply need support in prayer. This is a big deal and it is a big decision that shouldn't be taken lightly.
I hope this post has helped you see homeschooling from a mom's perspective. And even if our points of view are different or our reasons for homeschooling aren't the same, I am positive that we can find common ground in the fact that our hearts are for our children and their best interest is paramount. Be blessed!
More Information on Homeschooling
***UPDATE: Another great read that I found (June 2013) and love it:










I loved what you wrote cause I know that's who you are.
ReplyDeleteLove you