Saturday, September 28, 2013

Homeschooling September 2013 Part 4


This is the sign we have on our homeschool room. It says Huānyíng (welcome) in Mandarin Chinese. I got it when I went to China. I wasn't sure why I was getting it or how I would use it, but I am glad I finally found a way to put it to good use.
At MOPS, (Moms of Preschoolers), our theme for the year is "Beautiful Mess." This week we were to "Embrace Your Mess" so we made scrapbooking pages along the lines of "A day in the life of..."  It was a lot of fun getting pictures and decorations on nice paper for display.
Bible: Jesus and His Miracles
I came across a blog post that pretty much nailed down what the kids and I had been talking about that morning when we read the book The Story of Jesus. Take a look. What is a miracle? Click here.
                                       

Desk Work


Montessori Science (Botany): Parts of a Root
       
                     
                   
Montessori Nomenclature


Montessori Practical Life: Dressing Frames
               
         
 
        
        
I am left-handed AND my dad taught me the "two bunny ears, cross over, go under" method of tying shoelaces. It seems that the great majority learns the "around the tree and through the hole" method. So, needless to say, this shoelace trying lesson was a learning lesson for me as well as K. I needed reinforcements: I called hubby in to help.
He is right-handed (like K) and he uses the popular method of tying shoelaces, so he was a big help. According to several Montessori teachers I spoke with about this, they usually expose children to both methods and see which one is the easiest for each child. So I will do that, too. I will expose K to both and let him decide which one is easier for him. Both are difficult right now, but we will keep practicing.
Here is a great resource on how to teach to tie bows. Click here.
  


Play Time
One of the kids' favorite snacks (besides homemade popsicles) is frozen grapes.


Sisterhood: Women Bible Study
I absolutely love going to my church's group for women. We go every week. Right now, we are going over the book Undaunted by Christine Caine and it is awesome. She is an incredible woman who fights human trafficking and for women's and children's rights. Such powerful teachings!
I love it that the kids are in a good Christian environment and with a different group of kids with wonderful caretakers there. It is good to have different circles and to socialize in different situations and environments. I say it is definitely a win-win for our family. 


I volunteer and help out so much (give, give, give) during the week that I immediately responded when I felt that God prompted me to do this to "feed" my spirit to refill my tank and keep on giving. I have been challenged to grow and become a better person through this study. I am so glad we are doing this and don't intend to stop! 

If you are local and would like to come with me, please, don;t hesitate to let me know. I'd love to bring you to such a constructive and lively environment. It can build anyone up!

Fun with the Family
                      
                      
                      


Chores: Earning Tokens
K has been doing an incredible job keeping up with his morning chores. His afternoon chores are strictly on a volunteer basis, so those aren't completed as consistently as the others, but he loves to participate in some like watering plants, baking and folding laundry when he can. 
Every week he completes ALL of his morning chores (mandatory stuff like brush teeth, floss, clean room, make bed, etc), he gets 3 Chuck E. Cheese's tokens. Every time he gets 10 checks on his afternoon chores (volunteer/not mandatory), he gets one token. He loves putting his new tokens in his coin bag and love counting them. I told him that when he got 10 tokens or more that we could go to Chuck E. Cheese's to use them up. This will teach him the principle of saving and not get and spend right away.
                    


Field Trip: Free Fall School Terminal
So, um, A (1.5 years old) found this at the terminal. She hands it to me while saying, "OFF, OFF." We don't have this kind of stuff at home (we use natural and homemade bug sprays), so how did she know that's what it said? Did she read it? K could read at her age; is she going to be the same way? 


Clean Living: Homemade Cleaners and Lots of Produce
In case you were wondering, yes, A is using a reusable breast pad to help me clean the kitchen cabinets. She weaned herself almost 6 months ago, so I found a new use for the pads. :) Works great for little messes and little hands. Our homemade cleaner is natural and non-toxic, so I don't have to worry about fumes or chemicals touching my littles' skin. To see some recipes, click here.

We love eating lots of fresh and yummy produce. We juice a lot and make smoothies several times a week. Fresh produce is a must for us and I am faithful at soaking and washing the produce really well to ensure that no unwanted germs will get to my loved ones.


Field Trip: Colorado River on our Boat
                          
                  
Long and fun day. Good night!
Excerpt from Maria Montessori's book The Montessori Method. Powerful insight.

"The peril of servilism and dependence lies not only in that "useless consuming of life," which leads to helplessness, but in the development of individual traits which indicate all too plainly a regrettable perversion and degeneration of the normal man. I refer to the domineering and tyrannical behaviour with examples of which we are all only too familiar. The domineering habit develops side by side with helplessness. It is the outward sign of the state of feeling of him who conquers through the work of others. This it often happens that the master is a tyrant toward his servant. It is the spirit of the task-master toward the slave."


"The man who, through his own efforts, is capable to perform all the actions necessary for his comfort and development of life, conquers himself, and in doing so multiplies his abilities and perfects himself as an individual. We must make of the future generation, powerful men, and by that we mean men who are independent and free."



Delicious treat for breakfast. For the recipe, click here.



Inspiration...BE INSPIRED!

“While wandering a deserted beach at dawn, stagnant in my work, I saw a man in the distance bending and throwing as he walked the endless stretch toward me. As he came near, I could see that he was throwing starfish, abandoned on the sand by the tide, back into the sea. When he was close enough I asked him why he was working so hard at this strange task. He said that the sun would dry the starfish and they would die. I said to him that I thought he was foolish. there were thousands of starfish on miles and miles of beach. One man alone could never make a difference. He smiled as he picked up the next starfish. Hurling it far into the sea he said, "It makes a difference for this one." I abandoned my writing and spent the morning throwing starfish.” 
--Loren Eiseley


For my Bible Study homework, I am supposed to "throw one starfish into the water" and make a difference in someone's life. Once a day for a week.
Yesterday, I helped a complete stranger get started with homeschooling by giving her advice and walking her through the process.
Today, my son overcame his fear of the river and couldn't get enough of it because I showed him empathy, patience and peace.
But that's not all, I was someone's starfish today.  One of my neighbors, C, very graciously picked up our produce basket in town, giving us the opportunity to spend a relaxing morning at home. You made a difference in us, my friend. Thank you! 


I complimented a girl in zumba, telling her she had great rhythm. I could tell it built her up.

When I was paying for some produce at the store, the cashier noticed that I had gotten the two papayas that were on sale and mentioned that she meant to go get one of them for herself because she really likes them, but they are too expensive at regular price. I let he have one and I purchased the other. She was so happy. I didn't mind at all.
Have you thrown a starfish back today? Have you made a difference?
 photo YLjoinmyteamfinal_zps9399e46f.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.