Greetings Natural Homeschool readers!
I am Brenda from Schooling a Monkey. I have two daughters,
aged 8 (Monkey) and nearly 2 (Bo). My oldest daughter, Monkey, is in third
grade.
Since Monkey is in third grade, she is in school for several
hours each day. We try to arrange most of her school to occur during nap time,
but on the days that Bo takes a short nap, or doesn’t nap at all, we’ve had to
come up with alternative activities to keep Bo occupied while Monkey and I do
school.
Bo likes to copy what she sees Monkey doing. If Monkey is
working with a pencil, Bo wants a pencil. If she sees Monkey with a marker, she
wants a marker. So, while Monkey is doing school, I try to give Bo similar
items (that are toddler-safe). This will keep her occupied for up to 5 minutes
in most cases.
Offer a Special Toy
We have a few toys that we give Bo to play with during
school. These toys are classic, sturdy toys she can play with on her own. Her
favorite toys are:
- Blocks
- Trains
- Playdough
- Baby dolls
- Puzzles
- Dollhouse people
- Plastic kitchen storage containers
Give Them Books

Bo loves to look at books. Sometimes, I will give her books
to look at in her high chair while we are doing school, and sometimes I set her
on the floor. Right now, her favorite books are the colorful board books with
flaps to turn.
Distraction
Since Bo has the attention span of about 40 seconds, she must
be re-directed to new activities often. I don’t think there is any way around
this, so we work around it. Monkey doesn’t mind the breaks from school while Bo
is redirected. If Bo gets too distracting, I put Monkey on something she can do
alone and spend some quality time with Bo for a while. Then we return to school
when she is occupied or wait until she goes down for a nap.
Messy Play
Bo likes to get messy and she likes to “clean up.” She loves
pouring something from one container to another like water or rice. She also
enjoys cleaning up spills with a rag or paper towel. One day she was quite
amused by spreading cheese all over the table. Sometimes a few minutes of
concentrated study time are worth the extra hassle of clean-up later!
Feed Them
Bo loves to eat. Often, she won’t sit still unless she is eating. Sometimes I give her a snack to eat to keep her calm and still while we get some school done. Right now, her favorite foods are bananas, bell pepper boats, veggie sticks, fruit of any kind, puree pouches, tomatoes, cheese, and crackers.
Try Room (or Crib) Time
When all else fails, I put Bo in her room to play for a few
minutes. I make sure her room is safe from choking hazards, electrical plugs,
falls, etc. so she can play without danger. Then we provide her a few toys and
allow her to play for 10-15 minutes. The bonus to this strategy is that when
she returns, she is often calmer than when she left the room. If your toddler
will stay in a crib or playpen, you might be able to provide slightly longer
alone play. I only recommend this option if you can be 100 percent sure the
toddler is completely safe in the room alone. Use a baby gate so you can still
keep an eye on the toddler during alone play. If you have any additional older
children, you could have them alternate baby-watching with school time.
Simple Tips to Keep Toddlers Occupied during Homeschooling
The key to working with children of drastically different
ages is to keep things simple and allow for plenty of flexibility. If we do
something that I know Bo can’t do (like a complicated science project), we save
that activity for when she is sleeping. Some days, we might not be able to get
everything do, so we save it for a day when Bo does take a nap. Flexibility and
grace on all sides get us through each day!
Here are some more great posts by Schooling a Monkey:
~ 101 Healthy Snacks for Kids (and adults)
~ Essential Art Supplies for Any Home
~ 13 All-Natural Fall Crafts for Kids







Great ideas! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely pinned! I can use some of these now just to keep my little one entertained while I try to tackle some work!!
ReplyDeleteKatie @ Cup of Tea
I love these ideas! Thank you for sharing! I will be sharing, too!
ReplyDelete